Objective of this course is to introduce students to what Puppet is, make them familiar with the core concepts, Master/Agent and Standalone modes, and help them get started writing Infrastructure as a code.
Is this for me?
This course is suitable for you if you are a,
- System Administrator, or
- QA Engineer
- Operations Engineer, or
- Build and Release Engineer, or
- Site Reliability Engineer, or
- Automation Engineer, or
- in a similar ops/systems related roles
And have atleast 2 years of experience with either administering IT infrastructure/applications or with automation
What do I need to know before attending?
- Basic understanding of linux/unix system concepts
- Familiarity with Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Familiarity with a Text Editor
- Experience with managing systems/applications/infrastructure or with deployments/automation
- What will this course cover?
- Introduction to Puppet
- Setting up Learning Environment with Vagrant and Virtualbox
- Fundamental building blocks of Puppet : Writing Resources and Manifests
- Going Modular with Puppet Modules
- Conditionals and Logic
- Adding dynamic data with Variables, Facts and Templates
- Code Compression with Defined Types and Classes
- Puppet Master/Agent
- Puppet Forge
- Overview of Enterprise Puppet, Hiera, Mcollective, PuppetDB etc.
Do I bring my own laptop to the class?
Yes. You will need to carry your own laptop to the class. We will provide you with all the softwares required and help you configure it. Wifi access will be provided.
What will I be able to do after attending this course?
After completing this course you shall be able to
- Automate Common Infrastrucutre Tasks with Puppet
- Write Simple Modules
- Understand various primitives offered by Puppet
- Understand Client Server vs Standalone Model
- Start Managing Nodes in your own infrastructure with Puppet
- You are expected to spend atleast 3 weeks to practice with puppet code to gain fluency.
What are the next steps after this course?
After you complete this course you consider following action, possibly in the order specified.
- Start applying knowledge gained to automate your infrastructure
- Start writing your own modules and customizing puppet forge ones
- Consider appearing for Puppet Certification Exam
- Consider Puppet Advanced Course if requrired